dæmonLatin for the daimon in Greek mythology, a helper or guiding spirit. In some forms of philosophy, the personification of abstract concepts slightly beyond human conscious understanding. Socrates had his daimon that told him what was wrong but never what was right. In modern computing, a background process operating without user intervention. Daemon is an excellent Daniel Suarez novel that examines how our world works, where it is going, and how we can make it better.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#daemon
❝Damnatio memoriae (condemnation of memory) was a punishment reserved for certain people the Romans decided to dishonour for one reason or another. Rather impressively, it involved trying to get rid of all records that the person ever existed.
The methods used to rid the world of any record of the individual in question included striking the individual’s name from all official records; seizing their possessions; and anything bearing their likeness or name (statues, murals, writings, etc.) would be destroyed or otherwise defaced. To really rub it in, if the person being stricken from memory just so happened to be dead at the time, which was common, their will would be annulled and their grave defaced. That said, fully removing some of these high profile people, such as Emperors, from history proved to be exceptionally difficult, and despite the Roman’s best efforts, at least some of the people who suffered damnatio memoriae as a punishment are still in the history books.❞
dark & earlyMorning well before dawn begins to lighten the sky. Since I was a kid, one of my favorite times. My excuse was that I wanted to see “dawn’s early light” and I did.I come from a long line of farmers. Even without the insomnia, I'm usually up well before dawn.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dark-early
dark MoonMy name for the “new Moon.” 🌑 🌑 🌚 🌚
- the moon either when in conjunction with the sun or soon after, being either invisible or visible only as a slender crescent.
- the phase of the moon at this time.
✧❝This method of measuring a lunar month, from new moon to new moon, is known as a synodic month. A new moon is defined as when the Moon has the same ecliptic longitude as the Sun, as seen from the center of the Earth; when the Sun, Moon and Earth are perfectly lined up.❞➢ Lunar Month from Universe TodayThe Earth is between the sun and the Moon, casting it's shadow fully over the Moon face. A “new Moon.”https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dark-moon
dark waterIn Disneyland, recirculated water used in landscape features like waterfalls and the Rivers of America. All the water features are linked in one system seperate from the water rides and attractions. The water is dyed green and brown to hide how shallow the rivers are. Quite a bit is lost to evaporation.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dark-water
❝DARVO refers to a reaction perpetrators of wrong doing, particularly sexual offenders, may display in response to being held accountable for their behavior. DARVO stands for "Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender." The perpetrator or offender may Deny the behavior, Attack the individual doing the confronting, and Reverse the roles of Victim and Offender such that the perpetrator assumes the victim role and turns the true victim -- or the whistle blower -- into an alleged offender. This occurs, for instance, when an actually guilty perpetrator assumes the role of "falsely accused" and attacks the accuser's credibility and blames the accuser of being the perpetrator of a false accusation.❞➢ What is DARVO? by Jennifer J. Freyd, PhD
✧❝DARVO seems to be a combination of projection, denial, lying, blame shifting and gaslighting. Dr Freyd notes that other observers have identified the same phenomena using different terms. My male clients experience this behavior when they try to hold the abusive women in their lives accountable. It also seems to be common behavior in most predators, bullies, high-conflict individuals and/or abusive personality-disordered individuals. DARVO especially seems to occur in high-conflict divorce and/or custody cases. Of course, not everyone who denies wrong doing is engaging in DARVO. Many partners and exes of abusive women are accused of things they didn’t do or of things that never happened. Naturally, when this happens, you deny the accusation and perhaps feel a little (or a lot) bewildered. How do you know if an individual’s denial is the truth or an instance of DARVO?❞➢ DARVO: Deny, Attack, and Reverse Victim and Offender
by Dr. Tara J. Palmatier at A Voice For MenSee also politicshttps://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#darvo
❝De mortuis nil nisi bonum.❞ “Speak not ill of the dead.”❝The Latin phrases De mortuis nihil nisi bonum and De mortuis nil nisi bene [dicendum] ("Of the dead, [say] nothing but good") indicate that it is socially inappropriate to speak ill of the dead. As a mortuary aphorism, De mortuis. . . . derives from the Latin sentence De mortuis nil nisi bonum dicendum est ("Of the dead nothing but good is to be said"), which also is abbreviated as Nil nisi bonum. Freer translations into English are often used as aphorisms, these include: "Speak no ill of the dead", "Of the dead, speak no evil", and "Do not speak ill of the dead".❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#de-mortuis
❝Things and people are not what they seem. Hustlers know how to manipulate you to make you believe that they are.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#deception
dedicantA person dedicating to a occult tradition or path, but not yet bound by oaths.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dedicant
❝Experiencing ourselves as part of the living earth and finding our role in protecting the planet.❞➢ What is Deep Ecology? from the green fuse
✧❝Deep ecology, environmental philosophy and social movement based in the belief that humans must radically change their relationship to nature from one that values nature solely for its usefulness to human beings to one that recognizes that nature has an inherent value. Sometimes called an “ecosophy,” deep ecology offers a definition of the self that differs from traditional notions and is a social movement that sometimes has religious and mystical undertones. The phrase originated in 1972 with Norwegian philosopher Arne Naess, who, along with American environmentalist George Sessions, developed a platform of eight organizing principles for the deep ecology social movement. Deep ecology distinguishes itself from other types of environmentalism by making broader and more basic philosophical claims about metaphysics, epistemology, and social justice.❞
- The well-being and flourishing of human and non-human life on Earth have value in themselves (synonyms: intrinsic value, inherent worth). These values are independent of the usefulness of the non-human world for human purposes.
- Richness and diversity of life forms contribute to the realization of these values and are also values in themselves.
- Humans have no right to reduce this richness and diversity except to satisfy vital needs.
- The flourishing of human life and cultures is compatible with a substantially smaller human population. The flourishing of non-human life requires a smaller human population.
- Present human interference with the non-human world is excessive, and the situation is rapidly worsening.
- Policies must therefore be changed. These policies affect basic economic, technological, and ideological structures. The resulting state of affairs will be deeply different from the present.
- The ideological change will be mainly that of appreciating life quality (dwelling in situations of inherent value) rather than adhering to an increasingly higher standard of living. There will be a profound awareness of the difference between bigness and greatness.
- Those who subscribe to the foregoing points have an obligation directly or indirectly to try to implement the necessary changes.➢ A Deep Ecology Eight Point Platform
formulated by Arne Naess and George Sessions
“Government is the first, best, and last choice.” “Government knows better than you do.” “Government can fix the failures of the free market/competition/availability.” “Problems caused by government can be fixed by more government if we just get the right people in place.” “It’s for your own good!” “It’s for The Children!”Any one of dozens of statements that claim that society collectively or that government acting on behalf of that society knows better than you do on any and all given subjects while implying that the statement will be backed by force and dissent will not be tolerated. While it's true that individual government officials may know better than you on some subjects, none share your perspective and none know better than you on everything.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#default-assumption
- government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
- a state having such a form of government
- a state of society characterized by formal equality of rights and privileges.
- political or social equality; democratic spirit.
- the common people of a community as distinguished from any privileged class; the common people with respect to their political power.❝The goal is not democracy. The goal is liberty. Anything else is secondary.❞❝Democracy (Greek: δημοκρατία dēmokratía, "rule by [the] people") is a form of government in which the people have the authority to choose their governing legislation. Who people are and how authority is shared among them are core issues for democratic theory, development and constitution. Some cornerstones of these issues are freedom of assembly and speech, inclusiveness and equality, membership, consent, voting, right to life and minority rights. Generally, there are two types of democracy: direct and representative. In a direct democracy, the people directly deliberate and decide on legislature. In a representative democracy, the people elect representatives to deliberate and decide on legislature, such as in parliamentary or presidential democracy. Liquid democracy combines elements of these two basic types. However, the noun "democracy" has, over time, been modified by more than 3,500 adjectives which suggests that it may have types that can elude and elide this duality. The most common day-to-day decision making approach of democracies has been the majority rule. Though other decision making approaches like supermajority and consensus have been equally integral to democracies. They serve the crucial purpose of inclusiveness and broader legitimicy on sensitive issues, counterbalancing majoritarianism, and therefore mostly take precidence on a constitutional level.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#democracy
❝Demon possession is the seizure of a human being by a demonic being to such a degree that the individual is controlled in whole or in part by the demon (see Matthew 8:28-32, Mark 1:23-27, Mark 7:24-30, Luke 9:37-42). The person who is demon possessed can manifest demonic qualities one minute and then be back in his right mind the next. The disease known as schizophrenia could, in certain individuals, be demon possession. This could be the case in instances where the person may speak in different voices and act in bizarre ways. One minute he could be a nice, calm, normal individual, and the next minute he could rage, foam at the mouth, and speak in an entirely different voice, blaspheming God.❞➢ What Is Demon Possession? from CBN
“Demonic possession” is a cop out that has nothing to do with if the "demon" is “real.” Morally, the concept of “demonic possession” removes responsibility. “The devil made me do it!” Supposedly all the “victim” has to do is convince a priest (in the comparative sense, not necessarily Catholic) and BAM!, they are forgiven and do not have to accept the consequences. Meanwhile, society at large doesn't have to face the issues that may have contributed to someone striking out. Since “demons” supposedly exist outside of human control, “demonic” action is beyond anything poor little humans can do. Pre-Christianity, dæmons were spirits and not necessarily (or usually) harmful or malevolent. In other faiths, Benin vodun for example, possession is not bad, but it does mean giving up free will to the spirit for a time. Even some forms of Christianity embrace a version of it. That's where we get the words ecstatic and ecstasy. No matter how hard I try to leave out the psychological, cultural, magickal, and theological aspects, those things always end up being part of the conversation. Unless you are part of a culture that actively practices possession, the chances of you being possessed "just because" are vanishingly small. As in ninety-nine point something something or other percent against. Most exceptions create their own monsters in their own minds and souls. Which unfortunately is way too easy. I call it the Law Of Monsters, Beware the horrors you bring. The people who claim otherwise are usually looking for attention and power. If you're a decent person by the standards of your culture, you're reasonably protected from "intruders." Even more so if you are devout. Despite Hollywood and the clamorings of certain ministers and hucksters, most Americans can't tell you what a demon is or even if spirits are real or not. If there is evidence, chances are it's created by the humans perceiving it. We just don't have the cultural tools to recognize them, much less tell if they are beneficial or not. And if Christians know their Bible enough to know that the whole War in Heaven isn't part of the cannon and was copy-pasted from other faiths, then the idea of fallen angels trying to destroy mankind just doesn't hold water. Holy or otherwise. I'm not “defending” the demons. I'm pointing out that most people don't know if they exist, if demon is an accurate name, what demonic motivations are, and what demons can and cannot do. Moreover, you don't really need to know. It's a pretty good bet that anyone talking about “demonic possession” is trying to scare you or scam you. Especially if it's just part of casual conversation.
deosilSunward movement. In the Northern Hemisphere, this usually means clockwise. In some magickal practices and belief systems, a clockwise circle attracts energy.See also deiseal, sunward, sunwise, widdershinshttps://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#deosil
❝Anyone who has followed the crisis will understand that the real economy of businesses and commodities is being upstaged by complicated financial instruments known as derivatives. These are not money or goods. They are investments in investments, bets about bets. Derivatives created a booming global economy, but they also led to turbulent markets, the credit crunch, the near collapse of the banking system and the economic slump. And it was the Black-Scholes equation that opened up the world of derivatives.❞Derivatives are legally sanctioned pyramid schemes. They separate the “assets” from the “debits.” Then the “asset” values are inflated by increasing the “debits.” At the end, it all collapses under the debt. Before you blame the traders and the bankers too much, remember it was made legal by government. Derivatives are corporatist and a REALLY REALLY Bad Idea. The only people who can money are the ones who sell before the inevitable collapse. “Profits” come from increasing the overall debt and speculation, more “profits” mean more debt passed on to the losers at the end. There are no real profits beyond the original value, it all comes from borrowing and promising that someone else will pay.See also politicshttps://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#derivative
descending node☋ ☋❝the point where a planet crosses from the northern to the southern portion of its orbit❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#descending-node
deus ex machinaFuckin' Finger of Fate
- (in ancient Greek and Roman drama) a god introduced into a play to resolve the entanglements of the plot.
- any artificial or improbable device resolving the difficulties of a plot.Many see magick as a way to do things with no cost and no effort. They expect the Divine to reach down and rescue them. They forget that they must be a part of the magick and there is always a Price that must be paid.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#deus-ex-machina
❝ A dhimmī (Arabic: ذمي ḏimmī IPA: [ˈðɪmmiː]), (collectively أهل الذمة ahl al-ḏimmah/dhimmah, "the people of the dhimma") is a historical term referring to non-Muslim subjects of a Muslim state. Dhimma allows rights of residence in return for taxes. According to scholars, Dhimmis have the same social responsibilities and rights as Muslims. They are excused or excluded from specific duties assigned to Muslims, and otherwise equal under the laws of property, contract and obligation.❞➢ dhimmī from sensagent
✧❝Dhimmitude is a neologism used to describe allegations of non-Muslims appeasing and surrendering to Muslims. The term, in its original French, is derived by adding the productive suffix -tude to the Arabic language adjective dhimmi, which literally means protected and refers to a non-Muslim subject of a Muslim state. In modern usage, dhimmitude refers to discrimination against or treating as second class citizens non-Muslims, including Jews, where a majority of the residents are Muslim. The neologism has been criticized. According to Bernard Lewis the assumptions denoted by the term are a "myth" albeit with some elements of the truth, much like the assumption of a "golden age of equality" for non-Muslim minorities under Islamic rule.❞➢ Dhimmitude from sensagent
✧❝Dhimmitude can only be understood in the context of jihad, because it originates from this ideology. Infidels who submit without fighting to the Islamic armies, are granted a pledge of security. They are protected from the jihad laws against infidels which command killing, slavery, ransom or deportation for the enemies. Peace and security for non-Muslims are recognised only after their submission. Protection status is provided through the Islamization of conquered lands.❞➢ Dhimmitude: History: Dhimmitude from Dhimmitude
✧❝The term Dhimmitude is derived from Dhimmi, which means a non-Muslim living in an Islamic country. The Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary has defined it as "a person living in a region overrun by Muslim conquest who was accorded a protected status and allowed to retain his original faith". According to orthodox Islamic law (Shari'ah), those who are qualified for Dhimmi status within the Muslim society are the free (i.e non-slave) Christians, Jews, and Zoroastrians. Adherents of other religions, as well as those without religion, are asked to convert to Islam; if they refuse, they are to be forced to convert. However, historically, adherents of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and other religions, have lived as Dhimmis within Muslim states. According to the Qur'an and hadith, Jizyah tax must be paid by the dhimmis as a sign of submission. This gives dhimmis some legal protection in return. As established by the Pact of Omar, dhimmis usually are not allowed to carry arms to protect themselves, serve in the army or government, display symbols of their faith, build or repair places of worship, they must wear distinctive clothing which includes the Zunar (a kind of belt) wherever they go, etc. Many of these laws are still enforced today in Muslim countries, like Egypt and Saudi Arabia, which enforce various aspects of Shari'ah. If the conquered do not wish to pay or convert, their fate may very well be slavery (under which, rape is permitted) or death. The pact also declares that dhimmis are forbidden to ride horses and camels, and may only ride donkeys, and only on packsaddles.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dhimmitude
- intended for instruction; instructive: didactic poetry.
- inclined to teach or lecture others too much: a boring, didactic speaker.
- teaching or intending to teach a moral lesson.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#didactic
dignity culturePeople are assumed to have dignity and don't need to earn it. Violence and dueling are frowned on. Courts are used to resolve major transgressions and disagreements. Minor transgressions are ignored or resolved through social means.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dignity-culture
Diné (Navajo, Navaho)An Amerind tribe found in the Four Corners region of the American Southwest. They name themselves Diné or “the People.” Navajo is the common name, but many traditional Diné don’t like it.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dine
- Of or pertaining to Discordianism, an absurdist religion founded in the 1950s.
- Inspired by or resembling the traditions of Discordianism.
✧❝Discordianism is a religion and subsequent philosophy based on the veneration or worship of Eris, a.k.a. Discordia, the Goddess of chaos, or archetypes or ideals associated with her. It was founded after the 1963 publication of its holy book, the Principia Discordia, written by Greg Hill with Kerry Wendell Thornley, the two working under the pseudonyms Malaclypse the Younger and Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst. The religion has been likened to Zen based on similarities with absurdist interpretations of the Rinzai school, as well as Taoist philosophy. Discordianism is centered on the idea that both order and disorder are illusions imposed on the universe by the human nervous system, and that neither of these illusions of apparent order and disorder is any more accurate or objectively true than the other. There is some division as to whether it should be regarded as a parody religion, and if so, to what degree. It is difficult to estimate the number of Discordians because they are not required to hold Discordianism as their only belief system, and because there is an encouragement to form schisms and cabals.❞This, is not a fnord.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#discordian
❝Anything illegal you do will be used against you by the fraudster, making it harder for you to seek help once you realize you’ve been had. The best cons have you doing all his/her dirty work.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dishonesty
- to differ in sentiment or opinion, especially from the majority; withhold assent; disagree
- to disagree with the methods, goals, etc., of a political party or government; take an opposing view
- to disagree with or reject the doctrines or authority of an established church
- difference of sentiment or opinion
- dissenting opinion
- disagreement with the philosophy, methods, goals, etc., of a political party or government.❝All things being equal (which usually they are not), the side that can't stand dissent is the side you can't trust. “Thou shalt not dissent” is a loud siren and a flashing strobe light warning that your freedom is in trouble.❞❝Dissent is an opinion, philosophy or sentiment of non-agreement or opposition to a prevailing idea or policy enforced by a government, political party or other entity or individual in a capacity of contextual authority. A dissenting person may be referred to as a dissenter.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dissent
❝While you are distracted by what retains your interest, hustlers can do anything to you and you won’t notice.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#distraction
The theory that Christians should work towards a nation governed by Christians or governed by a conservative interpretation of Biblical law. But why should any one faith govern all people?See also politics
❝language used to deceive usually through concealment or misrepresentation of truth❞
✧❝Doublespeak is language that deliberately obscures, disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words. Doublespeak may take the form of euphemisms (e.g., "downsizing" for layoffs, "servicing the target" for bombing), in which case it is primarily meant to make the truth sound more palatable. It may also refer to intentional ambiguity in language or to actual inversions of meaning. In such cases, doublespeak disguises the nature of the truth. Doublespeak is most closely associated with political language.❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#doublespeak
❝Doxing is a technique of tracing someone or gather information about an individual using sources on the internet. Its name is derived from “Documents” or “Docx”. Doxing method is based purely on the ability of the hacker to recognize valuable information about his target and use this information to his benefit. It is also based around the idea that, “The more you know about your target, the easier it will be to find his or her flaws”❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#doxing
drawing room❝A drawing room is a room in a house where visitors may be entertained. The name is derived from the sixteenth-century terms withdrawing room and withdrawing chamber, which remained in use through the seventeenth century, and made their first written appearance in 1642. In a large sixteenth- to early eighteenth-century English house, a withdrawing room was a room to which the owner of the house, his wife, or a distinguished guest who was occupying one of the main apartments in the house could "withdraw" for more privacy. It was often off the great chamber (or the great chamber's descendant, the state room or salon) and usually led to a formal, or "state" bedroom.”❞https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#drawing-room
Droste effect❝The Droste effect (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈdrɔstə]), known in art as mise en abyme, is the effect of a picture recursively appearing within itself, in a place where a similar picture would realistically be expected to appear.❞
✧❝Droste Effect refers to an artistic technique that creates a recursive picture in which a smaller version of the image is placed inside itself repeatedly. In still images, the recursion is limited by the fixed resolution of the picture but can repeat as an infinite loop in animations.❞➢ Droste Effect from Know Your Memehttps://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#droste
dualism IS or IS NOTThe assumption that a measurement can be reduced to two and only two “true” values.❝I've found that when someone insists that there are two and only two choices, it's time to look for a third, fourth, and seventh alternative. The fifth will turn up on it's own. We don't speak of the sixth in polite company.❞Dualism is the foundation for much of logic and by extension most of science. The problem is that almost everything has more than two values. It would be more accurate to say IS USEFUL or IS NOT USEFUL. Even that is over simplified. The situation is subject to change, something that IS USEFUL in one instance may be IS NOT USEFUL in another. Dualism is a tool but not the actuality.https://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dualism
Dunbar's number (modified series)A series of nesting groups describing an individual's stable relationships and interactions. Each ascending "level" possesses approximately three times the previous members but considerably less frequent and less complicated social interaction. Proposed by anthropologist and psychologist Robin Dunbar, the theory has some very interesting and unexpected implications. The group characteristics are not well understood beyond the member numbers and the frequency/depth of synergy. Many forget that a Dunbar number is approximate and not “carved in stone,” it varies heavily according to individual personality and circumstance.
- Intimates - approximately five people who interact daily if not more. These are the people that an individual tends to be most open emotionally with and trusts the most. At least one researcher defined this group as the number of people who could share meals, a bathroom, sleeping quarters and closet space over an extended time.
Without children involved, this may equal the number of ongoing, healthy, nurturing, and mutually beneficial sexual relationships that an individual can maintain at any time.
- Sympathy & support - approximately fifteen people who interact between daily and weekly. This is the group than an individual uses for comfort, emotional support, and validation.
- Close friends & family - approximately fifty people (think dinner party) who interact between weekly and monthly. Characterized by the mutual obligations of respect and friendly behavior. There are hints that the major difference between close friends and casual friends is the amount of casual physical contact and sharing of personal space.
- Casual friends - somewhere between a hundred and two hundred and fifty who interact between monthly and yearly. Friendly behavior and respect are expected, but not obligated. Dunbar's own research pegged this group closer to one hundred, but it is commonly accepted at about one hundred fifty. When someone refers to a single Dunbar number, it's usually this group.
- Acquaintances - known but not friends. For most people this number is between three and five hundred. Keeping active social interactions on this level can be very difficult.
- Maximum - In the few cases where this group is defined at all, it seems to top out at about fifteen hundred.Although Dunbar and others acknowledge that the internet and social media can be a multiplier of sorts, physical contact (grooming, light touch) still seems the key to deeper bonds (oxytocin).
dynamic balanceVery few things in life are a destination. Mostly life is a point where we have to keep moving just to maintain our relative position. Mastering ourselves means finding the flux point between flows and tensions where a slight motion can be vastly amplified. We live in that space, if we fight the current we'll just exhaust ourselves without actually doing anything.See also Creative destructionhttps://lexicon.neowayland.com/dd/#dynamic-balance